Skip to main content

Item 14: Two Bank Notices to the Patron’s of Miners and People’s Banks of Wilkes Barre, 1915 December 11

 Item — Box: 16, Folder: 14

Dates

  • Created: 1915 December 11

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Public Notice.

Condition Note:

Excellent.

Measurements:

16.5 x 10.75 in.

Description:

The following item, dated December 11, 1915, depicts two notices to patrons of the Miners Bank of Wilkes Barre and People’s Bank of Wilkes Barre. Within these notices, the bank is making their clients aware of the recent finalization for a merger between the two banks. The two inside pages of this notice are letters from each of the merging banks. The left side has a letter to the patrons of The People’s Bank of Wilkes-Barre written by the bank president, John Welles Hollenback. In this letter Hollenback explains to the patrons how the merger will change the business. High ranking board members are listed at the top of the page. These members are J.W. Hollenback, I.M. Thomas, Samuel McCracken, and W. H. Turrell. The right side of the notice is a letter from Miners Bank of Wilkes-Barre written by the President F.M. Kirby and the cashier C.W. Laycock. Kirby writes about how the merger was beneficial to both institutions. The new board of directors is listed in this list, consisting of Thomas H. Atherton, Paul Bedford, F. M. Chase, Herbert Conyngham, J. N. Conyngham, Wm. H. Conyngham, Franck G. Darte, H. A. Fuller, Isaac P. Hand, J. W. Hollenback, Lyman H. Howe, Laning Hacery, F. M. Kirby, E.T. Long, Bernhard Long, Andrew H. McClintock, F. E. Parkhurst, T. F. Ryman, H.F. Stern, A.L. Stull, Isaac M. Thomas, F. W. Wheaton. John Welles Hollenback was a local businessman and philanthropist who was the director of Miners Back and the president of the People’s Bank of Wilkes-Barre, Board of Lafayette College, Wilkes-Barre Bridge Company, YMCA, Historical Society, and vice president of Wyoming Commemorative Association. F.M. Kirby was a five and dime store owner and philanthropist from Wilkes Barre. He is known for his business partnership with Charles Woolworth and his charitable causes. John Nesbitt Conyngham held several high ranking positions in businesses both in New York and Pennsylvania. These companies were the Standard Register Company of New York, National Biscuit Company, West End Coal Company, Tioga Coal Company and was the vice president and director of Miners National Bank.

Location:

Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)