Item 16: Newspaper Clipping of an Article entitled, “Miners Bank Established 75 Years Ago”, 1943 July 8
Item — Box: 16, Folder: 16
Dates
- Created: 1943 July 8
Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities
Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.
Access:
All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.
Extent
1 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Type of Material:
Newspaper clipping
Condition Note:
Poor.
Measurement:
11 x 2.25 in.
Title:
Miners Bank Established 75 Years Ago.
Description:
The following item depicts a newspaper clipping from an article detailing the history of the Miners Bank on the 75th anniversary of its founding.There are six clippings of newspaper commemorating the anniversary included. Three of these are about the history of the establishment, and the other three make a full page illustration promoting the bank’s 75th year. This article is applauding the growth of the bank throughout their time in business. The column is split onto two pages of the newspaper with a separate piece with the date, July 8, 1943, on it. This article tells the history of Miners Bank from its beginnings in 1868. It was approved to open by Governor John W. Geary. Once established members of the local community became corporators of the bank. Some were well-known in the regions. Andrew T. McClintock was a Wilkes-Barre attorney who was one of these members. His home was later donated to Wilkes University and was used as a dorm called McClintock Hall, but has since returned to a private residence. Elijah C. Wadhams was also a corporator. Wadhams served as a Representative in the Pennsylvania state senate for Luzerne County. John Welles Hollenback, a local businessman and philanthropist, was the director of Miners Back and the president of the People’s Bank of Wilkes-Barre, Board of Lafayette College, Wilkes-Barre Bridge Company, YMCA, Historical Society, and vice president of Wyoming Commemorative Association. Walter G. Sterling, a local businessman,was also a corporator at the bank. His house was donated to Wilkes University in 1949 and converted into dorms. Another local politician that worked with the bank is Garrick M. Harding. Harding was a Judge and author, who wrote about the region. Lewis Landmesser was also a corporator for the bank. He was a businessman working in real estate and the coal companies in Wilkes-Barre. Landmesser also served on the Wilkes-Barre City Council. Major. Charles M. Conyngham was a local coal operator whose land was later donated to the University. Honorable Ziba Bennett owned several restaurants, stores, and bridges in the city. Bennett along with Sterling were elected as vice presidents of Miners Bank. Charles L. Lamberton, another corporator, was a Pennsylvania politician and credited as a founder of the bank. Augustus C. Laning was elected president of the bank at the same time. Laning was the Burgess of Wilkes-Barre and was well known for buying the first steam fire engine for the future city. In addition to his political career he was one of the first manufacturers of iron castings in the region, which was located on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre. After listing the founding members of Miners Bank, the article traces the establishment's presidents. The next two presidents were John S. Law and Nathaniel Rutter. The last president of the original Miners Bank was Andrew F. Derr. In 1912 Miners Bank merged with Anthracite Savings Bank. In 1915 the bank then merged with the People’s Bank of Wilkes-Barre. This same year local philanthropist and store owner Fred M. Kirby became the President then Chairman.The newspaper notes at the time of this article’s publication in 1943 Miners National Bank was the largest financial institution in Luzerne County. At the time the following were board chairmen. W. B. Schaeffer, vice president, John A. Hourigan, vice president; Paul Bedford, vice president; Guy W. Moore, secretary; William J. Ruff, cashier; M. G. Robbins, assistant cashier;, Roland Grover, assistant cashier; R. H. Mitchell, assistant cashier; George Z. Keller, assistant cashier; Donald C. Patterson, assistant cashier; Edwin C. Norcross, comptroller; A. W. Dreisbach, trust officer G. M. Miller, and Lloyd E. Meyer as estate manager.
Directors in 1943 were Paul Bedford, Malcolm, Burnside, C. F. Goeringer, Harry Goeringer, John A. Hourigan, Benjamin R. Jones, Jr., Edward L. Lewith, Gilbert S. McClintock, Samuel McCracken, Guy W. Moore, F. E. Parkhurst, M. Peruzzi, W. B. Schaeffer, Julius Long Stern, Edwin. L. Walter, William O. Washburn and W. Gordon Williams. Gilbert S. McClintock donated the McClintock home and items in the collection to Wilkes University. Paul Bedford was the original owner of Bedford Hall which is a part of the Wilkes campus.
Location:
Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Atherton, Henry Thomas, 1884-1978
- Banks.
- Bedford, Paul, 1875-1967
- Bennett, Ziba, 1800-1878
- Burnside, Malcolm, 1873-1946
- Conyngham, Charles Miner, 1840-1894
- Derr, Andrew Fine, 1853-1915
- Dreisbach, A. W., [Pos. Dreisbach, Albert Walter, 1905-1993]
- Everitt, Matthew L., 1822-1872
- Goeringer, Conrad Ferdinand, 1887-1958
- Goeringer, Harry, [Pos. Goeringer, Harry F., 1923-2000 / Goeringer, Harry Frederick, 1894-1967]
- Grover, Roland, 1886-1983
- Harding, Garrick Mallery, 1827-1904
- History.
- Hollenback, John Welles, 1827-1923
- Hourigan, John Aloysius, 1872-1951
- Ilsley, John Parker, 1825-1902
- Jones, Benjamin Rowland Jr., 1906-1980
- Keller, George Z., [Pos. Keller, George Zachary, 1884-1960 / Keller, George Zachary, 1910-1952]
- Kirby, Fred Morgan, 1861-1940
- Lamberton, Charles Lytle, 1829-1906
- Landmesser, Lewis Bartz, 1850-1920
- Laning, Augustus Coryell, 1808-1875
- Law, John Shennen, 1826-1893
- Laycock, Charles Wilbur, 1860-1938
- Lewith, Edward L
- McClintock, Andrew Hamilton,1852-1919
- McClintock, Gilbert Stuart, 1886-1959
- McCracken, Samuel
- Meyer, Lloyd E.
- Miner’s Bank
- Mitchell, R. H.
- Moore, Guy W, 1868-1953
- Newspapers.
- Norcross, Edwin C.
- Paine, Lewis Compton, 1827-1890
- Patterson, Donald Cameron, 1885-1974
- Peruzzi, Michael, 1875-1955
- Reynolds, Benjamin, 1849-1913
- Robbins, Melvin Granville, 1876-1945
- Ruff, William J.
- Rutter, Nathaniel Burdett, 1871-1907
- Schaeffer, William Butler, 1865-1951
- Sterling, Walter Green, 1821-1889
- Stern, Julius Long
- Times-Leader Newspaper
- Wadhams, Elijah Catlin, 1825-1889
- Walter, Edwin L, [Pos. Walter, Edward Leroy, 1880-1961]
- Washburn, William Oliver, 1869-1958
- Williams, W. Gordon
- Woodward, Stanley, 1899-1992
Creator
- From the Series: Pickering, Timothy, 1745-1829. (Person)
- From the Series: Pennsylvania Economy League (Organization)
- From the Series: George III, King of Great Britain, 1738-1820 (Person)
Repository Details
Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository
Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)
ask.archives@wilkes.edu
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)
ask.archives@wilkes.edu
