Skip to main content

Item 29: Bookplate, Carver Memorial Library to Amos D[ow]. Carver, no date

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 29

Dates

  • Created: no date

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good, no issues.

Measurements:

4 ¼ in. x 3 ¼ in.

Title:

Carver Memorial Library

Description:

A bookplate depicting a ship heading out to sea, entitled, “Carver Memorial Library, Searsport, Maine.” Amos Dow Carver “was a merchant and shipowner in the early twentieth century.” His father was George A. Carver (1836-1908), who was from a large family of sailors from Searsport, Maine. George and his family relocated to New York in 1877 after retiring from sailing and became part of a ship chandlery firm called Baker and Carver. Amos joined his father, then later became president of the Chandlery, back when its name was Baker, Carver and Morell. Amos was a big part of maritime business and ship chandlery. He was the owner of several ships in Maine. He also shared rights of ships with other people in Searsport. He also helped start the American Whaling company in 1930, “and was part of a group that purchased and operated the Chester Shipbuilding Company, a steel shipyard in Pennsylvania.” The Carver Memorial library was named after Mrs. George A. Carver, Amos D. Carver, and Miss Elizabeth E. Carver of Brooklyn, New York, who were heirs of the late Capt. George A. Carver, who offered to build a public library building. The library was built in 1909 with stones taken from the Carver farm at the Moose Point shore, and dedicated on October 13, 1910. Today the Carver Memorial Library stands nearly doubled in size from the original structure. It remains, as the Bangor Daily News noted in October 1910, "a thing of beauty and a joy for generations of Searsport people to come. For more information about the Carver library, please visit their website here.

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)