Skip to main content

Item 43: Bookplate, First Society in Farmington, no date

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 43

Dates

  • Created: no date

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good, no issues.

Measurements:

6 13/16 in. x 4 2/8 in.

Title:

First Society in Farmington

Description:

A bookplate describing the penalty for mistreating a library book that belongs to the Farmington Library. The text reads “This Book belongs to the library in the first book of society in Farmington laws. Two Pence per day for retaining a book for more than one month. One penny folding down a leaf. Three shillings for lending a book to a non proprietary. No member to retain a book after 8’ o'clock on drawing evenings. The youth who lead by wisdom’s guiding seeks virtue’s temple under law reveres. He, he alone in honors done shall stay crowned with rewards raised above his.” The Farmington Historical Society was founded in Farmington, Connecticut in 1954. Its goal is to keep the town’s history intact and help people learn about their history. The society is thankful for the different people who built the town’s history such as the Tunxis Native Americans who started the first settlement near the Farmington River, “the English Settlers who traded with the Native Americans, the fugitive slaves who sought freedom on the Underground Railroad, the abolitionists who gave them shelter, the 38 Africans who lived here in 1841 after gaining freedom in the Amistad case, the entrepreneurs who constructed the Farmington Canal in the early 1880s, and the merchants and traders who built the staley homes lining main street in the historic village.”

Location:

Farmington, Connecticut

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)