Skip to main content

Item 76: Bookplate, Locust House, no date

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 76

Dates

  • Created: no date

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good

Measurements:

4 ¾ in. x 3 ½ in.

Title:

From the Books of Locust House

Description:

A bookplate of the Locust House. There is a garden with a stone wall, trees, a house, and clouds in the background. There is garland on the bottom, and text surrounding the image that says “A garden is a love something. God Wotirose Plot Fringed Pool Fernd Grot the veriest. School of peace and yet the fool contends that God is not God. In gardens! When the eve is cool? Nay, but I have a sign. Tis very sure God walks in mine.” Locust House, now known as Locust Grove was started by William Clark Croghan, his wife, Lucy Clark Croghan, and her brother George Rogers Clark, who started the city of Louisville, Kentucky. It was a meeting place for Lewis and Clark, as well as some US Presidents. It was constructed by slaves, who cooked the meals, planted and harvested the crops, made the family’s clothing, washed their family’s laundry, and were caregivers for the Croghan Children. Lucy Croghan’s brother was George Rogers Clark, former surveying partner of William Croghan and William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition. When it was in its prime, it was about 700 acres, and a small fraction of Croghan’s extensive landholdings, which exceeded 53,000 acres at the time of his death in 1822. When they were on their way back across the Pacific Ocean, on November 8, 1806, Lewis and Clark went back to Locust Grove and were given a warm welcome. Locust Grove became the only home west of the Appalachian mountains where Lewis and Clark stayed. In the fall of 2006, Locust Grove commemorated the 200th anniversary of Lewis and Clark’s return. George Rogers Clark stayed there near the end of his life for nine years. It was close to another house in Louisville called Springfield, it belonged to Colonel Richard Taylor and his son, U.S. President Zachary Taylor. After William Croghan had died, the house went to John C. Croghan, who was known for buying Mammoth Cave in 1838. In Winter 1844, an African-American slave, Stephen Bishop, made a map of Mammoth Cave. It was released the next year and was the most correct map of its time until 1908. A significant epilogue to Bishop’s story occurred in 1972, when a long-sought route connecting the caves of Flint Ridge and Mammoth Cave was discovered in an area which Bishop had mapped, but which had in the interim been almost completely flooded by the construction of a dam on the surface nearby: the area of the 20th century connection route is shown on Bishop’s 19th century map. In 1986, it became a Historic National Landmark, and is one of few remaining houses that has something to do with George Rogers Clark.

Location:

Louisville, Kentucky

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)