Item 95: Bookplate, Princeton Campus Club, no date
Item — Box: 20, Folder: 95
Dates
- Created: no date
Creator
- Princeton Campus Club (Person)
Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities
Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.
Access:
All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.
Extent
1 items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Type of Material:
Bookplate
Condition Note:
Good, no issues.
Measurements:
2 11/16 in. x 4 in.
Title:
Princeton Campus Club
Description:
A bookplate of the Princeton Campus Club. The bookplate features a shield with a book on it. “Campus Club was one of the undergraduate eating clubs at Princeton University.” It was started in 1900, and it was one of the first eating clubs that stopped using the “bicker process” to pick its members. They used this system for twenty years. The club’s acclaim was declining, which caused the undergraduate officers to bring back the bicker process in 2004, “causing Campus to become one of six selective clubs (out of eleven total clubs).” However, the club members did not like it, and they changed back to the “sign-in system” in the spring of 2005. Because of decreasing attendance and money problems, the club shut down that same year. Later that year, old members and alumni of the club decided to give it to the University, however, they wanted it to stay a place where students could meet up. The club underwent repairs for two years, and it opened again on September 18, 2009, welcoming “all members of the Princeton community.” Over the course of the school year in 1900, a group of students who were part of the old Yama and Ovando clubs rented a small house on Olden Street in Princeton. They would stay here for a short time while they looked for a bigger, indefinite house. In January 1901 the club started talks with Professor Andrew Fleming West to buy his house, which was on the corner of Washington Road and Prospect Avenue, where the club is currently located. The house was bought through “Princeton Campus Club Bonds” by the “West house” for $45,000. Once it was bought, the club members used the West house as their meeting place. Eight years later, they decided to build a new clubhouse, and the West house was relocated to the “corner of Nassau and Princeton Avenue. The new clubhouse, designed by Raleigh C. Gildersleeve, who had previously designed McCosh Hall and completed alterations to Cap and Gown club, was completed a few weeks before commencement in 1910.” On November 24, 1951, there was a fire at the club and it caused a large amount of damage to the third floor, and it needed remodeling. The remodeling was finished in 1953, and it stayed like that until the university bought it in 2005.
Location:
Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
Creator
- Princeton Campus Club (Person)
Repository Details
Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository
Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)
ask.archives@wilkes.edu
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)
ask.archives@wilkes.edu
