Skip to main content

Item 96: Bookplate, Princeton Charter Club, 1915

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 96

Dates

  • Created: 1915

Creator

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good, no issues.

Measurements:

3 ½ in. x 3 ¾ in.

Title:

The Princeton Charter Club Presented By

Description:

A bookplate of the Princeton Charter Club. The bookplate features the old clubhouse prior to its demolition in 1913. The Princeton Charter Club started in 1901. It is a personal club that allows students and alumni to join. “It was designed by Philadelphian architect Arthur Meigs in 1913. It is one of Princeton’s eleven active eating clubs located on or near Prospect Avenue in Princeton, New Jersey.” It was started in 1901 as the ninth eating club at Princeton, “with a senior section from the class of 1902 and a junior section from the class of 1903. They picked “Cloister” as the name, but there was a club at Yale University that had a sound-alike name. “About that time, the document known as the Charter of the College of New Jersey was discovered and presented to the University. Charter’s current neighbor to the west, Cloister Inn, later took the discarded name.” A little structure on Olden street with the name “The Incubator was rented and “the furnishing was paid for by subscription.” It was called this because many different clubs were staying there until they could get the money for their own clubhouses. “In the spring of 1903, the club bought three lots and a house on Prospect Avenue which constitutes three-quarters of the present property.” It was revamped and made bigger with member David Alder watching over, as well as Professor Harris and some of the faculty. They were able to buy the second clubhouse for $19,000 through selling mortgage bonds. The “Alder Clubhouse” hosted the club for 10 years until the third clubhouse was built in fall 1914. “It was designed by architectural firm Mellor and Meigs.” Their real-estate property had grown and one more lot was bought.

Location:

Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)