Skip to main content

Item 101: Bookplate, Ex Libris Ivy Club Princeton University, 1879

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 101

Dates

  • Created: 1879

Creator

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good, no issues.

Measurements:

3 9/16 in. x 4 ¼ in.

Title:

Ex Libris Ivy Club Princeton University

Description:

A bookplate of the Ivy Club at Princeton University. The bookplate features the Ivy Club with the image surrounded by Ivy. Above the image there is a ring of text surrounded by a leaf that reads “The Ivy Club, Princeton.” The Ivy Club is a club at Princeton University started by Arthur Hawley Scribner in 1879. “It is the oldest eating club at Princeton and is “still considered the most prestigious.” F. Scott Fitzgerald talked about the club in his book, “This Side of Paradise” (1920) saying it was “detached and breathlessly aristocratic.” Not too long ago, Monique P. Yagizi, said in the New York Times article, “At Ivy Club, A Trip Back to Elitism” it was the “most patrician eating club at Princeton University where members eat at long tables covered with crisp white linens and set with 19th-century Sheffield silver candelabra, which are lighted even when daylight streams into the windows.” It was one of the final clubs to exclude women, refusing to until they were sued along with the Tiger Inn and College Club by a student named Sally Frank and her lawyer Nadine Taub. The members of each class are chosen through the bicker process, a series of ten screening interviews which are followed by discussions amongst the members as to whom of the remaining to admit. Current undergraduate members host regular “roundtable dinners” featuring talks by faculty and alumni. The inaugural clubhouse was named Ivy Hall, a “brownstone building” that could be found on Mercer Street in Princeton, and it’s still there to this day. It was built in 1847 by Richard Stockton Field in 1847 for the Princeton Law School. This only lasted for five years. From when it was started, to its incorporation in 1883, it was most known as the “Ivy Hall Eating Club.” In 1883, the club bought “an empty lot on Prospect Avenue,” when it was just a dirt road. In 1884, they built a “shingle-style” clubhouse, where the Colonial Club is today. The clubhouse was refurbished and made bigger over the course of 1887 and 1888. After they relocated across Prospect Avenue about a decade later, their clubhouse was “used by Colonial before being sold and moved to Plainsboro Township, New Jersey.” The clubhouse that Ivy uses today was made by Cope and Stewardson in 1897. In 2009, the club had its largest refurbishing to date. Another part of the building was added, changing its shape from an L to a U. It was made by Demitri Porphyrios, the new wing includes a two-story Great Hall and a crypt to provide an additional study space.

Location:

Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)