Skip to main content

Item 111: Bookplate, St. Katharine’s School, 1917

 Item — Box: 20, Folder: 111

Dates

  • Created: 1917

Creator

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Bookplate

Condition Note:

Good, no issues.

Measurements:

2 15/16 in. x 4 ¼ in.

Title:

Ex Libris St. Katharine’s School

Description:

A bookplate as a gift from the class of 1917 depicting a gothic style building. St. Katherine’s School is a private “Espicopal Diocesan school in Richmond, Virginia.” It was the first all-girls school in Virginia and the only one that is Kindergarten through 12th grade. “St. Catherine’s is the sister school to St. Christopher’s and was put on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 2008.” St. Catherine’s was started by Virginia Randolph Ellet in 1890 while the “New South” movement was going on in Richmond. The school was relocated to the Westhampton area of Richmond, where it was given to the Episcopal Church three years later and given a new name for St. Catherine, “the patron saint for young women, especially those undergoing education.” Starting in 1957, alumni are welcome to go to the Bal Du Bois, hosted every year at the Country Club of Virginia. They have three newspapers which include “The Scrap Basket, Odds and Ends, and Arcadian.” The arcadian was released for 67 years and was their “longest-running newspaper.” Some of its prominent Alumnae include Nancy Astor, “the first female member of Parliament,” Anita Hill Jones, “a costume designer,” Penny Williams, Oklahoma State Senator, Molly Haskell, “film critic and editor,” and Darley Newman “producer, TV host, and writer.” Bookplate creator William Edgar Fisher was born in Wellsville, N.Y. on October 24, 1872. He attended Phillips, Andover Academy, and Cornell University. He was a well known artist, advertiser, and bookplate designer and was a former president of the American Book Plate Society. He became an art editor of Judge magazine during the early 1920s. Additionally, Fisher was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Society of Colonial Wars. He was also a member of the Players of New York City. He died at the age of 84 in 1956. To see other bookplates created by William Edgar Fisher, please visit Yale University’s archive and finding aids here.

Location:

Davenport, Iowa

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)