Skip to main content

Item 19a: Certificate from John Ross for “The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”, 1808 August 9

 Item — Box: 12, Folder: 59a

Dates

  • Created: 1808 August 9

Creator

Disclaimer for Name and Subject Authorities

Some of the name and subject authority tags have been assigned by educated guessing and estimation of persons and subjects by region, age, profession, and familial relationships. They have been thoroughly researched by using primary and secondary sources available digitally, and named in each description, or in some cases linked directly to the person tag.

Access:

All series and subseries within this collection are open for research, with the exception of a few files within the Academia series that are restricted. The Academia series contains financial and sensitive institutional records from Wilkes College, and financial report records from Princeton University that will remain restricted for 80 years upon creation.

Extent

1 items

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Type of Material:

Certificate

Condition Note:

Fair.

Measurements

8in x 5in

Title:

No. 1219

Description:

This certificate specifies that The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is the owner of one share of the stock for the Eastern and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike Road​​. The Eastern and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike Road was a privately-owned toll road chartered in 1803 and completed by 1816. It followed the course of today’s route 115 in our township, with tollgates about every 17-miles. Grain from the Wyoming Valley, lumber from the Poconos, and building plaster from NY State all moved on the turnpike, as did stagecoaches with US Mail. By 1860, railroads were the preferred mode for moving freight, causing the turnpike to become a public road. Commonly during the time period, people would invest in shares of stocks for newly established turnpike roads. John Ross ( 1770-1834) served as a member of the Pennsylvania State House of Representatives in 1800. In 1808 he was working as the county register. Samuel Sitgreaves (1764-1827) was heavily involved in transportation and agriculture. He was largely responsible for the erection of the first bridge across the Delaware River at the foot of Northampton Street in 1806 which resulted in a large volume of covered wagon traffic headed west through Easton. Sitgreaves backed the building of the Easton and Wilkes-Barre turnpike which opened a vast section of Pennsylvania to commerce.

Transcription:

{Front} No. 1219 It is hereby certified, That The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is entitled to One Share of the Stock of the President Managers and Company of the EASTON AND WILKES BARRE TURNPIKE ROAD numbered Twelve Hundred and nineteen — Transferable only in Person, or by Attorney duly constituted, and in Presence of the President or Treasurer of said Company. Witness the Seal of the said Corporation the ninth— day of August A.D 1808 John Ross President Attest, Sitgreaves Treasurer

{back} July 13 1843 Transferred to Geo M. Hollenback S Butler --- Dec. 22 1843- Transferred to Saml U. Cit S. Butler ---

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)