Skip to main content

Bucknell University Junior College File

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: 49-10-001

Scope and Contents

This collection of publications, speeches, and lists, documents basic factual information about Bucknell University Junior College's students, faculty, courses, events, and fundraising from 1934-47.

Dates

  • Created: 1933-1947
  • Other: Date acquired: 12/01/0012

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Some folders with contact information for Alumni and faculty are restricted for use by Wilkes University personnel conducting University business for 100 years after document creation. Archives staff may refer to these documents as a part of a research process for non-employee patrons that ends in a publicly available collection, such as a yearbook, but they may not provide information available solely in the directories to non-employee patrons.

Conditions Governing Use

Wilkes University and Bucknell University retain the copyrights to most publications in the collection, but some individual records are under copyright to their individual authors.

Biographical or Historical Information

Bucknell University Junior College was founded in 1933 after Dr. F.G. Davis suggested to Dr. Homer Rainey, president of Bucknell, that Bucknell ought to send its faculty to Wilkes-Barre to offer freshmen and sophomore courses. In June 1933 Bucknell leased the third floor of Wilkes-Barre Business College at 29 W. Northampton St., hired Dr. John H. Eisenhauer as the director, along with two adminstrative officers and five resident teachers. The first semester began on September 14, 1933, and 12 Bucknell professors began to commute from Lewisburg to assist the five resident faculty. 193 students enrolled in the first year, and all took freshmen courses. In 1934 the entire Wilkes-Barre business college was rented, adding laboratories and a library. The resident faculty expanded to 15, and the first sophomore classes were offered. Bucknell University Board of Trustees added a Junior College Committee in 1935; Gilbert S. McClintock chaired this committee. Dr. Eugene Farley was named Director of the Junior College in 1936. Through the late 30's the Junior College worked to move from an institution operating at 1935's deficit of $30,000 to one with the $500,000 endowment necessary to become an independently chartered college. This involved gifts of property and money. In 1943 the first contigent of Army Air Force Cadets, known as the "Fly Boys" enrolled. The 1946-1947 academic year was the first to offer a third year of classes in Wilkes-Barre, and in May 1947 the charter for an independent college was presented to the Luzerne County Court of Common pleas. On June 26, 1947, the approved charter was formally presented to Wilkes College during the Charter Day ceremony. Oliphant, J. Orin. The Rise of Bucknell University, Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1965, pp. 291-293. Two Decades, 1933-1943, 1943-1953: Bucknell University Junior College, 1943. "Wilkes College Receives Charter." The Bucknell Alumnus, September 1947, p. 8. Wilkes College 1947: A Bucknell Promise Fulfilled, 1947.

Note written by Elizabeth Sullivan

Extent

1.00 boxes

Arrangement Note

The file is arranged alphabetically by folder name.

Custodial History

Some items have Bucknell University Library stamps, indicating that they originated in Bucknell collections. Date of transfer is unknown.

Source of Acquisition

Harold Cox

Method of Acquisition

The method of acquistion is unknown - materials were located in the University Archives in December 2012 when arrangement and description of the collection began. Many items have annotations in Harold Cox's handwriting, indicating that this began as a personal research file on Bucknell University Junior College before he transferred items to University Archives collections.

Appraisal Information

All extant materials were retained due to the scarcity of records from Bucknell University Junior College.
Title
Archon Finding Aid Title
Author
Elizabeth Sullivan
Date
08/07/2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Wilkes University Archives Repository

Contact:
84 W South St.
Wilkes-Barre PA 18701 US
570-408-2000
570-408-7823 (Fax)